The George Gordon First Nation is committed to the separation of its political/governance affairs from its business operations. Within this context George Gordon Developments Ltd is intended to operate independently through its corporate by-laws, resolutions and policies as approved from time to time by the George Gordon First Nation Chief & Council.
What We Do
Corporate Goals & Objectives
- To improve the quality of life for the George Gordon First Nation members;
- To foster the economic self-sufficiency of the George Gordon First Nation;
- To promote growth of the commercial sector;
- To promote and facilitate the expansion of economic opportunities;
- To promote George Gordon First Nation Businesses and employment;
- To provide effective resource management;
- To establish corporate and management capacity;
- To link business ventures to the George Gordon First Nation’s resources.
GGDL Value Proposition
The profit model of the GGDL is based on the following three value propositions:
- First to know – the First Nation community, based on federal law relating to the ‘duty to consult,’ is “the first to know” about any resource development projects that may occur in and around its traditional lands. This provides a strategic economic advantage for GGDL as industry is encouraged by government to engage with First Nations. [This proposition will allow us to provide an advantage to our existing partnerships and to those corporations that wish to do business as an official GGDL partner.]
- Procurement – Industry has taken the lead when it comes to procurement that will ensure First Nations are engaged in any business and employment opportunities surrounding any resource development projects. [When managed in accordance to need, this process will prove to be very lucrative for business partners of GGDL.]
- Labour Pool – the GGFN has a large labour pool both on and off-reserve. As a First Nation the GGFN membership median age is only 38. There is an urban population off 2,263 with an on-reserve population of 1,117. [Under this proposition will provide business and industry with quality reliable workers.]